Thursday 16 January 2014

The protests are still happening, it gets quiet during the day then more people start appearing after they finish work. I saw a huge crowd of protesters singing along to a band playing 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' on Tuesday night.


This was on one of the main shopping streets (called Sukhumvit) in Bangkok, which was close to where we stayed on the first few nights. We've moved to near Khaosan Road now which is the backpacker central, and it is a bit further away from the protests. We're not too worried about them as there have only been a few minor incidences of violence, but its reassuring not to be smack bang in the middle of all of it. This part of town has more to see and do as well - museums, galleries, the ladyboy cabaret - its all here. The hotel is not as nice but we're saving a lot of money. I've also seen one of the other protest sites which is further south and based in a park. There are slightly less people there I think but there are still large crowds listening to the speeches.




I got caught up in a bit of a procession today but everyone seemed to be in high spirits.



Its not clear whether the protesters will achieve their aim of postponing the election, I have seen a lot of riot shields being moved around at the police station, though thankfully none have been deployed yet. I try and steer clear of it as it is exhausting negotiating the throngs of people, but I always end up gravitating towards the protest sites as there is so much good food there. I got some kind of fish cake thing today, I can't be any more specific but is was very good - chewy and spicy.


I have managed to find some quiet parts of the city, but I had to walk for quite a while.



This is called the big swing.



It is very big, but I was disappointed to find out that you can't swing on it. I found a little outdoor cinema today. 



The show hadn't started yet so I cam back later to see what they were watching. Something with Bruce Willis, Katherine-Zeta Jones and John Malkovich ageing disgracefully. It was dubbed in Thai so I couldn't understand a word, but I enjoy the atmosphere of a cinema regardless of what's on the screen.



There wasn't any popcorn going round, dried cuttlefish seemed to be the only munch available for the movie goers.


For those of you wondering what has happened to Sarah she is in Gokarna with Kat, they're having a good time and we're all looking forward to meeting up in Arambol in a couple of weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment