Wednesday 22 January 2014

The (caretaker) government has declared a 60 day state of emergency after a series of violent attacks on and around the protest sites. 9 people have died already and there have been gun and grenade attacks in the city. Armoured vehicles have been spotted in the city as well, but the army says its definitely not got anything to do with a coup. Which is nice.


View from My House guest house in Rambuttri where we are staying

Toby and I have been soaking up some culture, visiting the national museum and the Calypso Cabaret starring the ladyboys of Bangkok. We have both got Big Lebowski T-Shirts now as well.


An actual scene from Thai history


Ladyboys

I found a protest site on a bridge near our guest house the other day, there weren't many people there and the few that were seemed happy to sit around in the sun. I caught the end of this guys set before the speeches started again.




I also visited 'Adhere the 13th Blues Bar' the other night, and heard some excellent blues covers of songs like Is This Love (Bob Marley), D'yer Maker (Led Zeppelin) and House of the Rising Sun (trad)


But mostly I have been passing the time playing guitar and waiting to get back to Goa. It is Sarah's birthday today and its a shame I will be missing it, but it does give me a whole extra week to sort out a present!






No comments:

Post a Comment